Declining Jamestown was the end of the means. The Church, the State House and several other Jamestown structures were rebuilt, and many of Bacon's followers were pardoned, "As His Majesty hath forgot it himself". It remained an omen of a larger revolt against tyranny which was to come one hundred years later (The American Revolution). Meanwhile, the colony regroup and it continued to grow. On Oct. 31, 1698, the Fourth State House burned accidentally. The General Assembly voted to move Virginia's Capitol from Jamestown to Middle Plantation about six miles inland, which the Assembly also renamed it Williamsburg in honor of King William III. The General Assembly met in the newly built College of William and Mary, while the new Capitol was being built. Jamestown ceased to exist as a settlement, existing today only as an archaeological site. Once the new Capitol building and "Governor's Place" were erected there in the following years. This was a revolutionary change.
Jamestown was declining in statue, and bricks from the being hauled away to build Williamsburg houses. The townsite of Jamestown, was slowing being till under. By 1900, ruins of the Church Tower were the only visible remains of the First successful English Colony in America, In the twentieth century, the nation once more reclaimed the townsite and island as a National Shrine, A Historical Place to be place on the Registrar, A symbol of America's Birthplace in the New World.
Jamestown in the twentieth first century has little to remain, the Ambler House remains, built in 1710, also accidently burned in 1895. Since there was little knowledge of what all was present during Jamestown, there hasn't been a complete restoration.
Today, Jamestown is one of three locations comprising the Historic Triangle of Colonial Virginia, along with Williamsburg and Yorktown, with two primary heritage sites. Historic Jamestowne, the archaeological site on Jamestown Island, is a cooperative effort by the Jamestown National Historic Site (part of Colonial National Historical Park), and Preservation Virginia. Jamestown Settlement, a living history interpretive site, is operated by the Jamestown Foundation in conjunction with the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Due to the movement of the capital to Williamsburg, the old town of Jamestown slowly disappear from view. Those that did remain in the area, attended services at Jamestown Church, until 1750's, when it was abandoned. By the mid-18th century, the land was heavily farmed by the Travis and Ambler Families. During the American Revolution War, although the Battle of Green Spring was fought closely to my great grandfather plantation (Governor Berkeley's plantation), Jamestown was apparently inconsequential. By 1831, David Bullock purchased Jamestown from the Travis and Ambler Families. In 1854, images of the ruins of Jamestown was found, and the only showing of building were the tower of the old Jamestown Church.
During the American Civil War, Confederate William Allen, who owned the Jamestown Island, occupied Jamestown with troops he raised at his own expense with the intention of blockading the James River and Richmond from the Federal Union Navy. He was joined by Lt. Catesby and Roger Jones, who were doing test to see how the first Confederate ironclad warship, CSS Virginia, which was under constriction at the Gosport Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth in late 1861 and early 1862.
Jamestown became a meeting place for runaway slaves, who burned the Ambler house,the church, and a few other places left in the township. When Allen sent men to assess the damage in the later part of 1862, they were killed by former slaves.In the years after the Civil War, Jamestown became a peaceful area again. In 1892, Jamestown was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Barney. The Barneys donated 22 1/2 acres of land, including the 1639 church tower, to the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. In the early 1900's concern citizens and the federal government step in to build a sea wall to protect the original 1607 fort, which was discovered in 1994. In 1932, George Craighead Gregory of Richmond was credited with discovering the foundation of the first brick statehouse building, at Jamestown on the land owned by Preservation Virginia. Mr. Gregory, who was a member of the Virginia Historical Society, founded the Jamestowne Society for descendants of stockholders in the Virginia Company of London and the descendants of those who owned land or who had domiciles in Jamestown or on Jamestown Island prior to 1700. In 1934, Congress on 3 Jul 1930 established the National Park Service to obtained the remaining 1,500 acre portion of Jamestown Island which had been under private ownership by the Vermillion family. On the June 5, 1936, the National Monument was re-designated a national historical park, and became known as Colonial National Historical Park.
For further stories and historical facts see: Commemorations: 200th anniversary (1807); 250th anniversary (1857);
300th anniversary (1907) Jamestown Exposition; 350th Anniversary (1957) Jamestown Festival; 400 Anniversary: Jamestown (2007); Note that in Jan 2007, the Virginia General Assembly held a session at Jamestown. On May 4, 2007, Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and Price Philip attended a ceremony commemorating the 400th anniversary of the settlement's arrivals, reprising the honor they paid in 1957. In addition to the Virginia State Quarter, Jamestown was also the subject of two United States commemorative coins celebrating the 400th anniversary of its settlement. A silver dollar and a gold five dollar coin were issued in 2007.
The Visitor's Center contains many exhibits, including numerous artifacts found at Jamestown. It is the largest collection of 17th century English Colonial artifacts in America.
I welcome all comments, inquires, and suggestions at: firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Ms. Sylvia.