The fourth county was formed and named after Governor William Clark, Governor of Missouri Territory. It is a southwest county, Clark County. In its formation, courts were directed to be held at the house of Jacob Barkman and afterwards at Clark courthouse, where they were held until Oct. 20, 1825, when the county seat was located at a place called Biscoeville but was moved from there to the house of Adam Stroud in 1827. An effort was next made to secure its location at a place called Crittenden but without success. In 1830, it was located at a place called Greenville, where it remained until 1812, when it was moved to Arkadelphia, where it now is. Arkadelphia, which is a place of considerable importance--lying on the St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railroad--is the chief place of the county.
Hempstead County, the fifth county formed, created Dec. 15, 1818, is also a southwest county. The county seat is Washington, which became such in 1821, the year in which the town was founded. Before that courts were held at the house of John English. The town of Washington is notable for having had among its citizens a remarkable number of men who have been distinguished in public affairs of the state and nation, among whom are to be noted Judge Edward Cross, Judge of the Territorial Superior Court and afterwards of the State Supreme Court and member of Congress; Judge Daniel Ringo, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State and United States District Judge; A.H. Garland, Governor in 1874, United States Senator in 1886 and Attorney General of the United States in 1885-1889; and others to be named: Judge John R. Eakin, Judge B.B. Battle, Judge A.B. Williams, Senator James K Jones, and Col. Dan W. Jones.
Source: Hempstead's School History of Arkansas.