Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs
With all the rain we have had over the past few days, many mushrooms have popped up. Driving to work I see many yards with beautiful white mushrooms growing. I go out every morning and check my dog pen for mushrooms and pull them up if I can. This is assurance that my dogs will not be victims of mushrooms. Below are tips about mushroom poisoning and how to protect your pet.
1. Onset of mushroom toxicity is 30 minutes to six hours after ingesting mushrooms.
2. Signs are not specific to mushroom toxicity. Other differential diagnosis are: ethylene glycol (antifreeze), head injury, low blood glucose and epilepsy.
3. Acute signs are nausea, salivation, vomiting, diarrhea (sometimes bloody), dilated pupils, ataxia, tremors, muscle fasciculation, seizures, possibility of renal failure, possibility of kidney failure, coma and death.
4. Most common sign seen in may be ataxia (staggering).
5. Baseline blood work to check liver and kidney function can be done.
6. Initial treatment: induce vomiting if dog is stable (which will physically remove mushrooms from stomach), followed by activated charcoal to bind any remaining toxin in the stomach or intestines. IV fluids to help the kidneys remove toxins.
7. Supportive treatment: IV fluids and monitoring. Some dogs with severe tremors or seizures require anti-seizure medication and more intense monitoring.
8. Animals typically recover from neurological signs within 24-48 hours and some have had liver or kidney failure.
9. Keep your dog on a leash to monitor what they eat.
If you have questions about Mushroom Toxicity contact dr. Norette L. Underwood of the Trumann Animal Clinic and Best Friends Vet Mobile at firstname.lastname@example.org