MT Board purchases computers
The Marked Tree Board of Education voted last Thursday to tentatively approve the purchase of 30 computers, using funds set aside from the 21st Century Grant and Title VI funds that the school currently receives. In the debate, held in the Marked Tree High School Library, members heard about the various bids made by computer companies in and out of state for the computers that will be used by the district. After much debate, the board voted 4-0 to tentatively approve the bid of OPTUS (Pentium-4) computers, unless another bidder has a technician within 50 miles of the school and makes a lower bid.
In other action, the board:
* voted 4-0 to approve the minutes and financial report for the month of May 2002. In the discussion about the financial report, directors Harry Webb and President Robert Boxley told those in attendance about their problems with reading the report and having the report in a more clear, understandable manner. Bookkeeper Dee Dee Pace told the board that the fiscal year ends June 30 and that something could be done to alleviate the problems, after that date. Also, it was reported that the Marked Tree School District had a $450,000 balance at the end of May.
* Voted to table a series of issues before the board, for further study. The board voted 4-0 to table issues involving a dumpster enclosure, student insurance, a plan to discuss test scores and voted 3-0, with one abstaining on the purchase of a new mower. Further debate on these issues will be heard at later meetings.
* Voted 4-0 to hire the following individuals as teachers in the Marked Tree School District: Gary Johnson (High School Math Teacher); Carolyn Reese (High School Special Education); Betty Burge (Girls Basketball Coach and Secondary Teacher) and Kimberly Smith (Elementary Teacher).
* Voted 4-0 to move a series of sick days among employees at the school, using the district's sick day bank policy.
* Congratulated R.J. Pitts on receiving a certification of completion of in-service with the Arkansas School Board Association.