MT city council approves new water tower

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Adopting a resolution for a new water tower and hiring new city employees topped the agenda of the Marked Tree City Council meeting Monday night. The council also heard reports from the city's various committees and departments.

In an unanimous vote, the council adopted a resolution to erect a new water tower in Industrial Park in Marked Tree. It will be constructed behind the old water tower, which will be demolished after the project is completed. The estimated cost of the new tower is $925,000. The cost will be funded through a USDA loan.

"The one at industrial park was used when it was put up 40 years ago," said Mayor Ashlock. "It's deteriorated and has to be replaced."

In other discussion the council heard an airport committee report from alderman Dean Tucker. Tucker reported that work at the airport is being completed in three phases.

Phase one, which included resurfacing runways and tax areas, has been completed at a total cost of $180,977.

Phase two involves the purchase of land from Ritter Co. to extend the runway and allow zone easement. It is still in the process of being completed at an estimated cost of $94,000.

The city will open bids on April 19 for phase three of the airport improvement project. In this phase the airport apron will be rehabilitated along with other improvements. The estimated cost for the project is $242,000.

"All of this is paid for from federal money we received," Tucker said. "About 90% is federal funding and the other 10 % comes from the state. It doesn't cost the city anything."

Mayor Ashlock said the federal funds come from airport fuel taxes.

"We're the only airport in Poinsett County," he said. "We're also looking to apply for a grant from FEMA."

In other business the council:

*Approved the purchase of a used air compressor for the city.

*Voted unanimously to repair pot holes and uneven streets in the city for an approximate cost of $30,000.

*Hired four new employees during executive session including Oliver Eaton for the street department, Hermon Malding for the police department, Lesley Jenkins as a dispatcher for the police department, and Statin Shockley for the street and water departments.

*Heard financial reports for the city and the water department.

*Reviewed reports for the airport as well as the water, street, fire and police departments.

*Approved minutes from the previous minutes.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: