Indians-Hornets declared no contest

Friday, September 14, 2012

The Marked Tree Indians and Harrisburg Hornets played a great first half of football, then two storms hit Hornet Stadium.

Chris Montague of Marked Tree breaks up the pass intended for Dakota Jones during the Indians game at Harrisburg this past Friday. (DT Photo/Anthony Cossey)

Marked Tree got the ball first and wasted little time as Darius Ivy scored on a 68-yard run on the first play from scrimmage. The extra-point was blocked making the score 6-0 Indians with 11:48 left in the opening period. Chris Montague scored for the defense as he intercepted an errant Marcus Smith pass and returned it 48-yards for a touchdown. Ivy added the two-point conversion to make the score 14-0 Marked Tree with 10:17 left in the first. Marcus Smith hit Dakota Jones with a 15-yard pass to get the Hornets there first points of the night. Smith added the two-point conversion run to make the score 14-8 Indians with 5:21 left in the first period. Marked Tree answered that score as Brody McCrary hit Dee Crockett with a 10-yard touchdown pass with 3:36 to go in the first. Bailey Gilbert was stopped on the two-point try leaving the score 20-8. Harrisburg marched the ball down field with Smith taking it in from two-yards out. The two-point try failed making the score 20-14 with 2:34 left in the first.

Smith escaped a strong pass rush to find Jeremy Martin with a 35-yard touchdown strike to tie the game up at 20. Smith then found Arizona Sharp with a two-point pass play to make the score 22-20 Hornets with 3:15 left before half. Marked Tree didn't last the Hornets lead last long as Ivy took the snap as quarterback and went 58-yards for the score on the first play after the kickoff. Octavious Dean runs in the two-point conversion to make the score 28-22 Marked Tree with 3:01 left before half.

With the score 28-22 in favor of Marked Tree, the first storm hit Hornet Stadium. Lightning and rain caused the game to be at least 30 minutes delayed before starting the second half. When the storm lingered, the referee suspended the game and said it was up to the schools to decide on making the game up. The second storm hit as the Hornets wanted to play the game with the Indians not wanting to play. This reporter contacted the Arkansas Activities Association via email and was told this by Wadie Moore, "If both schools cannot agree to make up, the game will be declared a no contest."

Marcus Smith of Harrisburg runs the two-point conversion in as team mate Arizona Sharp blocks for him during their game with Marked Tree this past Friday. (DT Photo/Anthony Cossey)

Marked Tree Coach Waylon Dunn offered this after the game, "You want to play the game but you have to think of the safety of the kids." On the game Dunn said, "I thought we played good in spurts, there are some things we need to work on."

"I thought we did some good things, we ran the ball well and blocked well," Harrisburg Coach Keith Davis said. "We gave some big plays on defense, just gotta make those tackles," Davis added.

Devon Jarrett had 64 yards rushing for Harrisburg with Jones adding 45 yards on the ground.

Ivy led Marked Tree with 141 yards rushing.

Harrisburg will host Riverview this Friday while Gurdon visits Marked Tree. Both games are to kickoff at 7.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: