Fourth quarter collapse costs Wildcats

Friday, October 10, 2014

Trumann (1-4, 0-2 4A-3) took their first lead of night at 16-15, after being down 15-0, with just over 10 minutes left in the game turning the momentum in their favor. That momentum didn't last long as Westside drove down the field and scored to retake the lead before adding a two more scores on their way to a 38-16 win over Trumann this past Friday night spoiling the Wildcats' Homecoming game.

Wildcat Dalton Carter hauls in a touchdown pass against Westside during high school football action this past Friday in Trumann. (DT Photo/Anthony Cossey)

Trumann put together a nice opening drive but couldn't convert on fourth and four deep in Westside territory turning the ball over on downs at the Warriors 18-yard line with 8:25 left in the opening period. Westside drove down in Wildcat territory on their first drive only to see the Trumann defense hold on downs to regain possession of he ball at their own 38-yard line. The Wildcats moved the ball down to the Westside 28-yard line as the first quarter ended with the score 0-0.

Trumann turned the ball over on downs as Justin Liles' pass was tipped and fell incomplete early in the second quarter. The teams traded possessions over the next several minutes of quarter before Alex Santos grabbed an errant Westside pass to give Trumann the ball on the Warriors 42-yard line with 6:44 left before halftime. The 'Cats couldn't capitalize as Westside held on fourth down with 3:38 left. Trumann was flagged for pass inference on Westside's third and four pass play to keep their drive alive. A 23 yard run followed by a 22 yard pass put the Warriors in the end zone with 12 seconds left in the half. The point-after was good to make it 7-0 at halftime.

The Warriors took the second half kickoff and drove 64 yards with their punishing ground and scored with 9:26 left. The Warriors were successful on the two-point play to make it 15-0. Heston O'Brien got a hand on the Westside punt to give Trumann the ball on the Warriors 45-yard line with 5:09 left. The Wildcats took advantage of the blocked punt as they drove down and scored on Liles' one-yard run to make it 15-6. Grayson Dye dove in for the two-point conversion making it 15-8 Westside. Trumann's Aaron Veteto forced a fumble on the kickoff return as Willie Moore fell on it to give the Wildcats the ball on the Westside 32-yard line with just seconds left in the third quarter.

Willie Moore of Trumann prepares to drop the Westside runner for loss during the Wildcats' game this past Friday. (DT Photo/Anthony Cossey)

Liles found Dalton Carter down the middle for a 12 yard touchdown to pull Trumann within 15-14 with just over 10 minutes left in the game. Liles went to the air for the two-point play finding Dye wide open to give the Wildcats a 16-15 lead. The rest of this game would be all Westside as they added three more scores to pull away for a 38-16 win.

"The penalty right before half that led to their score hurt us," head coach Scott Waymire said after the game. "We had some drives down inside their 30-yard line that stalled out with silly mistakes and stuff. We fought back and took the lead, thought we had overcome the adversity, but didn't make the plays when we needed to," Waymire added.

Dye the Wildcat's offense with 118 yards rushing, a touchdown and two two-point conversions.

Trumann will travel to Gosnell for another 4A-3 conference game. Kickoff is set for 7.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: